Buying Organic Produce: 6 Tips on How to Shop Wisely and Save Money
Some say they don't or can't buy organic foods due to higher cost and less availability. Here are a few ways to make organics more affordable and easier to purchase for your family.
1. Do not always assume organic is more expensive. Look at the prices of conventional and organic products and compare. You may be surprised that on some items, there is little or no difference in price, depending on where and when you buy.
2. Buy in season. These items will be the lowest priced, whether you're shopping at a specialty market or local farmer's market.
3. Grow your own. Even a small window box can yield some organic herbs or tomatoes. Larger areas can accommodate lettuce, strawberries, broccoli, carrots and more. A garden is also a great classroom and hobby for children and adults alike.
4. Shop at one of the more than 2,500 farmers' markets in the United States. The produce here is as fresh as possible, because the food is usually picked within 24 hours of your purchase. This is a great place to check prices with little effort. Becoming a regular shopper and getting to know growers personally, is a good way to get the best selection and price.
5. Join a food cooperative. A food co-op is kind of a buyers club for affordable, fresh, local organic and natural products. It is an actual store where members buy "shares" of the business to provide the capital necessary to run the store efficiently. You as a member directly influence the kind and variety of products and foods available, and also receive a discount in the store. Many co-ops allow you to "buy" shares by volunteering several hours per week or month.
6. Visit a farm and pick your own produce. Children love to experience something new, especially when it involves dirt and food. According to the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) "Parents had reported that their children started to eat more vegetables after visiting a farm on a school field trip, having experienced for the first time the process of gardening."
Lisa Barnes is the owner of Petit Appetit, an educational service promoting healthy eating habits and good nutrition for infants and toddlers. She is also the author of The Petit Appetit Cookbook (Penguin March 2005). For information and to sign up for a free newsletter visit http://www.petitappetit.com
Some thoughts on vacation rentals | Letters To Editor | union-bulletin ... - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin
Airbnb debate heats up with new proposal permitting short-term rentals - The San Diego Union-Tribune
The Crucial Role of the Salt in Our Health
Salt is vital for our health. Right now, you have around 250 gr.
The Many Benefits of Green Tea Extract
The Benefits of Green Tea Extract: Anti-Aging, Anti-Cancer, Weight Control One of the great advancements in nutrition in the twenty-first century is the scientific confirmation of the many benefits of green tea extract. Here are just a few.
Introduction to Detox Diets
Detoxifying the body has become an apparent key preventative measure to all kinds of health problems. Since most of us are busy, and unable or unwilling to maintain a strict diet in order to completely eliminate all the toxins from our body.
Eating to Gain Mass
This is usually the forgotten element of most mass programs. Food.
Ayurvedic Nutrition: Let Your Food Be Your Medicine
It is ironic how something as obvious as nutrition has become overlooked in the modern health care system, and how in the name of convenience our fast paced society has given way to fast foods, microwaves, quick fix medicines, and eating on the run. Fortunately, there is a growing focus in the important role that nutrition plays in maintaining good health.
Where Does Your Drinking Water Come From?
Have you ever thought about where your drinking water comes from? Most of us never give this question a thought. Yet, the sources of our water tell us a lot about its quality.
What You Need To Know About Inflammation
Inflammation is not a disease.Inflammation is best described as a defense mechanism to limit tissue damage.
Using Calcium and Magnesium for Constipation
Calcium helps reduce constipationUsing calcium and magnesium in the right quantities can prevent or relieve constipation. They can support the health of your colon and keep you regular.
6 Ways to Eat More Healthfully
With so much 'diet advice' around today it is little wonder if you feel somewhat confused. Whether you are wanting to lose weight, maintain your weight or help your family eat more healthfully.
The Sneak Attack of Trans- Fats
If you are like most people, you are probably confused about trans fats. What are they? Which foods have them? What is the health risk?The truth is, trans fats are everywhere.
Preventing Heart Disease: What Not To Eat
About 12.6 million Americans currently have heart disease.
A Diet Deficiency Today is a Clinical Event Tomorrow
For those of us that understand nutrition and it's importance in our lives, this statement makes all too much sense doesn't it?Today, six out of the top ten causes of death are diet related and chronic degenerative diseases afflict over 120 million Americans. Cancer has moved from the eighth leading cause of death to number two, even after Richard Nixon's "War on Cancer" spent thirty billion dollars attempting to find a cure.
The Two Faces of Chlorine
If you are like most people, you don't enjoy the taste of chlorine in your drinking water. Nevertheless, you're willing to put up with it because it kills certain bacteria that are harmful to your health.
You say you don't know what glyconutrients are? You are not alone. Perhaps you have heard a bit about glyconutrients but you don't really know what they are or how they could benefit you.
Vitamins and Minerals for a Healthy Reproductive System
Vitamins, minerals and other nutrients are essential to the development and proper performance of the reproductive system. Nutrition plays a vital role in the development and maturity of the reproductive system through childhood and adolescence and can even affect the endocrine system which regulates the hormones that rule the functions of the reproductive system.
Find Mineral Nutrition Online
Mineral nutritionSearching for mineral nutrition information is much easier today than ever before. I remember when we'd have to search manuals, books and do it at the library and also searching the encyclopedia.
Train Your Self To Eat Healthy
For some people it is really hard to give up the junk food and sweets and eat a better, more nutritious diet. So let's use the example of eating the 5 to 9 fruits and vegetables we need daily.
Antioxidants - Your Best Defense Against Disease and Aging
Studies support the benefits of eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. This is due to their high antioxidant value.
Water - The Natural Choice
Proper hydration is extremely important during exercise. Adequate fluid intake for athletes, even the recreational kind, is essential to comfort, performance and safety.
Just The Tea FAQs: Health Benefits (Part III)
The wonders of modern science continue to amaze us with new cures and essential information on healthy living: what to eat, what to drink, what do to; and, of course, what not to eat, drink, and do. All of this is quite wonderful.
|home | site map|