The Worse Mistakes People Make with Food
There are a number of common food mistakes that costs dearly in money, health, and time. What are the major mistakes made? What changes do you need to make? Here are some food mistakes to avoid.
1. Last minute meal planning or no planning at all. The results: not knowing what ingredients to have and/or not having the right ingredients.
2. Bad planning for shopping; not knowing what's on sale, what's in season, what you are out of, etc. Result? One buys what isn't needed and spends too much on what is needed.
3. Convenience spending/cooking. Examples are; TV dinners, chicken already cut up, items in ready-to-use/serving sizes, etc.. This buying habit costs lots of money. Whole chicken at 49 cents a pound is much less than skinned breast at $3.89 a pound.
4. Unplanned trips for missing ingredients. Buying an item at the last minute means paying full price and buying other items not needed just because you are there.
5. Buying "wants" not "needs". This habit causes incomplete meals or snacks as meals. Also, it results in not having healthy food for meals.
6. Improper storage equals wasted food. A good habit to get into is to properly store food the moment you get home. Make it a family event. I call it "divide and conquer". Each family member can place items in their proper place even if they can't cut the chicken for freezing, or fix the carrots, celery, or whatever for serving sizes to be stored in the frig.
7. Trying too hard can result in giving up. Changing the way you cook or buy can be exciting and frustrating, especially if one attempts to do too much at one time. If you want to try stir frying, don't try to do pressure cooking at the same time. Frustration causes some to quit.
8. Surprise! Company's here! Unexpected company can put the budget in a sling. What recipes can be fixed ahead of time and cooked at the last moment? What foods feed a crowd that can be stored year around?
9. Bad diet/bad eating habits. For whatever reason people often just fall into bad eating habits. Unhealthy foods costs more. Eating too much of certain foods costs more.
One way to spend less and feel better is to take a good look at your buying habits. Decide what needs changed first. Prioritize. Even if you are good at sticking to plans everyone is in the habit of doing things certain ways. As you become hurried or stressed you may fall back into old habits. Precautions avoid unnecessary spending in food buying and preparation.
Spending less money on food and eating better is possible for almost everyone. Few are doing all they can. But don't get all caught up with insignificant details. Life is too short. Decide what will work for you, and don't stress about it. You need to reserve energy for more important things. Avoiding common mistakes can save time, food and money.
Author info: Check out http://www.grocerystoresavings.com for more information on saving money on food. L. C. Peterson is a writer, and web marketing consultant with over 400 manuscripts published. The author's web site is at http://www.lcpeterson.com.
The Non-Diet Diet
Diets don't work. If they did the U.
Do You Need Omega 3 Fatty Acids?
Do you need omega 3 fatty acid in your diet? This question on the importance of omega 3 fatty acid can be clarified by examining the medical evidence regarding the omega 3 benefit.Omega 3 fatty acid are important building blocks for the cell membranes.
3 Things You Want to Know About Cholesterol
You wouldn't judge a book by its cover, would you?You would want to open the book and read part of it to get a better idea about what is going on, right?Well, judging a book by its cover is what happens when you look at LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and decide that this is the only - or even the best indicator of heart disease.Worse yet, you are told you MUST lower your LDL cholesterol level.
The Benefits Of Drinking Herbal Teas
Herbal teas have long been known to have medicinal benefits as well as being tasty to drink! Some of my favorite teas are chamomile tea, jasmine tea and ginger tea. Each of these has a distinctive taste as well as health benefit.
Fattening Foods: Not So Fattening After All?
Have you seen those "fat free" foods in supermarkets? Have you possibly delighted in them guiltlessly thinking that they are healthy for you? There's a good chance that you have because we usually follow what the media and the world around us says. In this day in age, along with other health fads, many people believe that fat makes you fat.
Avoiding Mental Disorders Through the Aid of Vitamins and Minerals
When we think about the benefits of being ensuring a good bill of health by keeping track of our daily intake of prescribed vitamins, minerals and as well as the other nutrients that are needed by your body in order to stay healthy. It is important to be conscious of the fact that deficiencies in the daily intake of vitamins and minerals can negatively affect not only your physical capabilities but your how your mind functions as well.
How to Grow Sprouts
Sprouts not only taste good, but they are also a great source of vitamins, fiber, protein, anti-oxidants, and enzymes. A sprout is produced when a seed starts growing into a vegetable.
Alkalize Your Way to Better Health
Today we're shifting our focus from wealth to health. First of all, I am not an expert.
Combat High Blood Pressure and Cholesterol with Soybeans
You may have heard of the "Portfolio Diet" wherein it has been clinically accepted that increasing the intake of soy based foods can reduce levels of LDL cholesterol as much as some statin drugs.Well, now it seems that soybeans have another health-giving quality: they also reduce blood pressure.
Take Back Your Life 5
In parts 1-4 of this series of articles titled "Take Back Your Life", we discussed what could be considered the four wheels of the human wellness vehicle. We discussed the importance of proper cell function, the necessity of having and maintaining a balanced endocrine system, and the role of vitamins and minerals, including certain trace minerals as they relate to wellness, and the value of antioxidants.
You are Closer to Being Vitamin C Deficient Than You Think
Okay, so you think you are doing pretty well with your diet. You prepare most of your meals at home, don't eat much junk food and aren't a fast food eater only rarely.
Cherries - The Next Wonder Fruit
Cherries?A Supercharged FruitThe little red fruit that has been enjoyed by countless millions offer more than great taste. Are cherries truly fruit for a healthy you? Recent studies have revealed that cherries offer an assortment of health benefits including the natural ability to offer relief from joint inflammation.
Learn About Diet Nutrition Physique
Diet nutrition physiqueToday, learning about diet nutrition physique isn't all that difficult any longer. The truth of the matter is what should you do about your overall health and well being? If you're concerned about you weight and physique then a little different twist on things are in order.
Inactive Alert: Essential Proteins for Sedentary People
The importance of protein in diet has been clearly established by nutritional scientists, and widely accepted by athletes. Among other vital functions, protein is indispensable for creating muscle.
Things You Should Know about Vitamin K's Unique Power
How well do you know about vitamin K? This vitamin is probably not as popular as other vitamins. But still you need this vitamin for your health.
You Are What You Eat, Do You Dig Your Grave With Your Tongue? Boost Your Immune System
I know that the headline is a oldie, but it really is a goodie and is so very true of most of us, in this age of fast takeaway foods giving us all the foods that we should not be eating if we wish to maintain good health. What you must do is have natural nutrition that will boost your immune system.
The Joys of Being Healthy
It is amazing to be able to say I am a whole, happy, healthy, loving woman. I was sick for the first 40 years of my life.
What A 6-Month Old Can Teach Us About Our Eating Habits
Recently, I had the pleasure of seeing my 6-month old niece Rianna in Las Vegas. She has just started eating "real" baby food beyond the formula in her bottle, and I got a kick out of feeding her one of her meals of squash.
Nutrition and Exercise Tips to Walk Away From Death
Recently yet another super-heavyweight Iron Immortal died from a heart attack at age forty-five or thereabouts. Typically, when I read of these tragedies I search my memory banks and then write some sort of tribute.
Herbs that Heal Naturally
The word herb is used to refer to any part of a plant used for flavoring or medicine. Herbs for relaxation so sleep will come, and relieving pain or water retention have the welcome plus of being void of the side effects that come with chemical medications.
|home | site map|