|Top Quick Tips|
Checklist for Hiring a Private Investigator
Looking for an old friend? Want to know if your spouse is cheating? Need to check out a potential tenant or employee?
A good private investigator (PI) can help you obtain these answers. And as with any expert you hire-a doctor, a lawyer, an insurance broker-it benefits you to take the time to ensure you're hiring a professional who has experience, quality reputation, and good-business ethics. Below is a checklist that will help you find just such a private investigator:
1. Ask friends, business associates, your lawyer for a referral. Word of mouth gives you the inside scoop, and the opportunity to ask questions specific to your needs.
2. Check your state's private investigator associations, most of which have web sites that post their membership directory.
3. If you can't find a private investigation association for your state, there are multiple national PI organizations that refer investigators, such as The National Association of Investigative Specialists (http://www.pimall.com/nais/dir.menu.html). Also, check your state's legal organizations-for example, affiliates of the American Trial Lawyer's Association or the state defense bar-which typically have a directory of recommended investigators.
4. Insurance companies use PIs constantly. Especially if your needs fall into surveillance and background checks, an excellent resource is your own homeowners insurance company. Ask to speak to a claims representative. With a few inquiries, you should be able to pinpoint which investigators your insurance company uses, which is a good referral.
5. Check Internet and Yellow Pages for private investigator listings, but remember these are paid-for ads. Ask for references; check if the PI is licensed (most states require a PI to be licensed, a few don't); if you're going before a judge and jury, ask if the PI has courtroom experience. NOTE: An untrained investigator may not know the laws and end up doing something illegal during an investigation-which causes you problems.
6. Before you speak to an investigator, decide what's in your budget.
7. When you speak to an investigator, ask if he/she has done the type of work you're seeking. More important, ask them the outcome of that type of investigation.
8. Ask to see examples of reports they've produced for similar cases.
9. Gauge your comfort level while speaking to the investigator. Good communication will be critical after the investigation begins. Also, be open minded-your investigator may have new ideas that are worthy of exploration.
10. Expect to pay a retainer up front. Just because a PI doesn't ask for one (or even a reasonable hourly rate), doesn't mean he/she is better at what they do. You want to hire someone who's competent, not hard up for work.
Remember, a good private investigator can be your best resource!
Subscribe to Highlands Investigations & Legal Services, Inc. free quarterly e-newsletter, which provides leading-edge legal, forensic, investigative articles, and more. All subscribers are automatically eligible for free gift drawings. To subscribe, go to http://www.highlandsinvestigations.com.
Colleen Collins, Highlands Investigations and Legal Services, Inc.
Highlands Investigations & Legal Services, a product of two logically related sets of background and training--attorney and information specialist--offers a unique blend of investigative and writing/research skills. To learn more about our services, go to http://www.highlandsinvestigations.com
I WANT IT NOW - 10 Tips for Freight & Drayage at Trade Shows
Gas prices continue to go through the roof and increased transportation costs will increase trade show costs across the board.
7 Steps Toward a Better Website
Creating a website is one thing, making it better is another. Matt shares 7 steps to help you gain a better website.
Top Ten Listening Skills for Speakers
Good Speakers need good listening skills to become Great Communicators
Wealth Building Scams
I have some good news and I have some bad news. First the good news. The number of infomercials on television is decreasing.
Learn to Improve Sales - 10 Ways to Get More Business Starting Today
You need sales and you wanted them yesterday. Here are ten ideas to start those sales pouring in. Learn them then use them.
10 Dos and Donts Of Customer Services
Email etiquette is the key to help calm down anxious and impatient customers. People assume that once they press the "send" button that we will get everything sorted out in an instant! Of course we all know that this is not an accurate representation of how things work. However, you should prepare yourself for the occasional hot tempered emails, regardless of whether their comments are unreasonable or not.
10 E-mail Organization Tips
Who doesn't have issues with organizing their inbox!? I receive close to 600 e-mail each day due to the variety of activities and contacts I have online. Some I am truly interested in their content - most I am not.
International Shipping/Freight for Dummies
There are lots of benefits for some businesses to import or export goods. Manufacturers and distributors can order directly from the overseas manufacturer and save money on their purchases. They can also market their goods to the world instead of just the USA. There is a demand for American products in many parts of the world, but smaller American companies don't think they have the connections to offer their goods internationally. I recommend using freight forwarders instead of carriers because a good freight forwarder will shop several carriers to get you the best rate. With the right freight forwarder importing and exporting is as easy as sending a package via UPS.
Seven Questions to Improve Your Business, Your Relationships, and Your Life
Seven Questions to Improve Your Business, Your Relationships, and Your Life
Seven Ways to Get the Most Out of the Next Training You Attend
Sometime soon you will be attending some training. It may be a one hour tele-seminar, a one day class, professional conference, or a weekend retreat. It may be something that you are paying for, or it may be something your organization is investing in. Whether you are paying the bill or not, you are making a significant investment of your time, energy and attention to participate.
Top 7 Ways to Profit from Foreign Trade
Here are seven excellent ways to earn income from international trade.
Top Ten Ways to Manage Interruptions
So many people I worked with said they got more work done at home than in the office. That was because there were so many interruptions in the office. In fact lots of people come in early or stay late just to have quiet time to work. One way to have that same quiet time during the day is to manage interruptions. Look for ways to create a "Power hour" of work time. Maybe this will allow you to get home earlier!
10 High-Impact Viral Marketing Strategies
Viral Marketing is allowing people to giveaway and use your f.ree product or service in order to multiply your marketing quickly over the internet. The idea behind viral marketing is that you include your ad with the freebie people giveaway or use. Below are ten high impact viral marketing strategies:
Top Ten Reasons to Write a Sales Letter for Each Product? - Part 2
Authors/publishers are great at getting their books written. Entrepreneurs know their products. But after the initial one-year honeymoon, sales slow down. To counter this make sure your ebook, product, or service you offer will keep on selling from the first day, the first year, even for life. Write a short sales letter for each product or ebook.
Increase Exposure, and Profits With Powerful Memorable Business Cards Using These Ten Strategies
Your business card is a valuable piece of real estate and a powerful tool for making a connection and starting a relationship that can show your potential clients the valuable solutions you can offer them.
Ten Tips for Effective Meetings
Here are ten things that you can do to hold more effective meetings.
How To Eliminate Your Competition Without Bloodshed
So how do you eliminate your competition without bloodshed? You must create a niche for your business. A niche is something that makes your business different from your competitors. To compete with other businesses nowadays (especially online) you need something that nobody else can copy. One of a kind!
Ten Tips on Delegating Work
One way to manage your time more effectively is to delegate work to others on your staff or to contract workers you hire for specific projects. How often I hear such comments as, "It takes too much time to delegate." "If I delegate the work there is no guarantee that the work will be done properly. It is just easier to do it myself." "No one can do this as well as I can." If others who have a lower hourly rate can do the work while you focus on the work only you can do, your cash flow will be better because you can do more of the work that only you can do.
7 Ways To Get One-way Links To Your Site
One way links will help you gain better rankings in the major search engines. Here are 7 ways to get them :
7 Ways To Profit From Other Peoples Products
If you don't possess the time, money or inclination to create your own hot selling product there is plenty of scope for profit by using other people's.
|home | site map|