|Top Quick Tips|
Top Seven Questions for Starting Projects More Effectively
We all are project managers. Some of us manage projects like vacations or reunions, while others run implementations of new software systems, consolidation divisions of companies, launch new products, or build buildings. While the scale changes for different kinds of projects, and complexity changes as more people are affected and involved; at the core there are questions you can answer to help get any project off to a better start.
Here are seven of those questions you should ask (and answer!) when initiating a project:
1. What can I do at this early stage to increase the likelihood of project success? This question gets you thinking about the key things to do now. Often at the beginning, especially of big projects, people focus all their effort on planning. While planning is certainly important, sometimes there are actions other than "to plan" that need to be done early.
2. What skills will I need to complete this project, and who are the right people for the team? Seldom can we do it alone ? and on big projects this question will get asked several times during the course of the project. Getting the right people with the right skills on your team is critical and needs to be done as soon as you can.
3. How do I influence and persuade these people to be committed to this project? It is one thing to identify the people you want on your team. It is another to help them understand why you want them, the roles they can play, and influence them to choose to be involved when they have other competing interests and opportunities. Even in a corporate setting where people can be placed on or assigned to a team, we need to think about how we will gain their commitment, involvement and passion in the project outcomes.
4. What are the major deliverables for this project? A key part of any project plan is to outline what the outcomes will be. Answering this question is a critical part of your project planning, and sometimes overlooked as people focus only on the final end results, not considering the major deliverables along the way.
5. What are the major steps in my project plan? Actually that is the question you want to answer, but isn't where you want to start. Start by brainstorming on ? "what are all the things that will need to be done in this project?" Don't worry that you won't think of all of them ? you'll think of more later! Get down on paper everything that you can think of first, and then ask the second question ? "what are the major steps?" From your big list you will be able to identify the key steps and then group the other steps "inside" the major steps.
6. How detailed does my plan need to be at this stage? Think about the complexity of the project, the number of people involved and the skill and experience of those people. All of these factors (and potentially many more) can play into the decision of how detailed to make your plan. Make your plan detailed enough that people are clear on the deliverables and know what is expected of them by when. Perhaps the plan will need greater detail later and you will leave that to team members responsible for those components or maybe you need to develop that detail up front. This is one of the things you should be considering and balancing at the start of the project.
7. What can I do at this early stage to ensure fewer risks and obstacles during the course of the project? Think about the end of the project for a few minutes. Imagine today what obstacles, stumbling points and hurdles have had to be beaten to get to this successful completion. Then step back and ask yourself how you can eliminate the obstacles, bridge the roadblocks, and clear the hurdles now. This is one of the best uses of your time at the start ? to take steps to reduce or eliminate these things, before they can occur to stall or delay your project.
Kevin is Chief Potential Officer of The Kevin Eikenberry Group (http://KevinEikenberry.com), a learning consulting company that helps Clients reach their potential through a variety of training, consulting and speaking services. Kevin publishes Unleash Your Potential, a free weekly ezine designed to provide ideas, tools, techniques and inspiration to enhance your professional skills. Go to http://www.kevineikenberry.com/uypw/index.asp to learn more and subscribe.
The Top 7 Marketing Tips You Dont Want To Overlook
1. Combine Emotion and Logic
Why Dont They Just Get It Done: 7 Performance Tactics for CEOs
Buckling under the weight of chronic corporate restructuring, and frustrated by performers who don't respond to carefully crafted strategic plans, high level executive leaders are being confronted by a growing performance gap between what needs to get done and what gets done.
Famous Business Strategies
Either simply a looker-on or a player in the world of business, you see millions piling into the accounts of world's most famous businessmen and naturally the question pops "How?", wondering what is the alchemy they've discovered? Yet, there is no magic here - it's mostly pure strategy. And what it takes to spot it and make it real.
Seven Steps to Achieving Your Dream
"Vision is the spectacular that inspires us to carry out the mundane." -- Chris Widener
7 Money Saving Tips to Decrease Home Business Expenses
We all know that running a home business is highly satisfying, and at times downright liberating! No clock to punch, no dress code, and best of all, no boss to answer to. But there are also many facets of business ownership that entrepreneurs must stay on top of. One of those is keeping the expense to income ratio in balance. Below are seven painless ways to do just that.
Bookkeeping Techniques For Morons
Please don't think I am calling you a "moron" to hurt your feelings in any way. I was a moron when I first started setting up my files. You have to force yourself to do it NOW -- right at the beginning! Many of a business has collapsed simply because they lacked organization in their basic accounting business practices. Don't be one of them!
Checklist for Hiring a Private Investigator
Looking for an old friend? Want to know if your spouse is cheating? Need to check out a potential tenant or employee?
7 Reasons You Want Referral Business and How to Get Them
Studies have proven that there is one reason why people don't do more referral business: they don't ask. There are two reasons why, they forget or they don't have a strong enough relationship with their clients, so they don't feel comfortable
Ten Tips on Delegating Work
One way to manage your time more effectively is to delegate work to others on your staff or to contract workers you hire for specific projects. How often I hear such comments as, "It takes too much time to delegate." "If I delegate the work there is no guarantee that the work will be done properly. It is just easier to do it myself." "No one can do this as well as I can." If others who have a lower hourly rate can do the work while you focus on the work only you can do, your cash flow will be better because you can do more of the work that only you can do.
Top Ten Ways to Develop New Success Habits
1. Make a clear, specific commitment to what you want. Put your commitment in writing and post it where you can see it often.
Ten Tips For Starting A New Job
1. Get to know people. First meet those people in your department and then those in departments you interface with. Listen more than you talk. Ask lots of questions and get clarification if necessary so you truly understand how the office/department/business works.
Event Planning: Seven Best Practices Successful Planners Use
Do you plan events for the corporate world like product launches, conferences, seminars, etc? If so, check out these seven practices of successful event planners.
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Star Wars
1. Great Things Take Time ? Three years passed between the release of each movie in the two trilogies, and a lot of work went in to them. Be patient?and keep working hard every day.
7 Ways To Get One-way Links To Your Site
One way links will help you gain better rankings in the major search engines. Here are 7 ways to get them :
Ten Tips for Effective Meetings
Here are ten things that you can do to hold more effective meetings.
10 High-Impact Viral Marketing Strategies
Viral Marketing is allowing people to giveaway and use your f.ree product or service in order to multiply your marketing quickly over the internet. The idea behind viral marketing is that you include your ad with the freebie people giveaway or use. Below are ten high impact viral marketing strategies:
7 Reasons Why Training Doesn?t Produce the Desired Results and What You Can Do To
Seven Reasons Why Training Doesn't Produce the Desired Results and What You Can Do To Improve Your Results
Top 7 Ways to Profit from Foreign Trade
Here are seven excellent ways to earn income from international trade.
Managing Your Major Sales - 7 Steps That Could Change The Way You Pursue Business
Ever lost a sale you thought was in the bag? Not an unfamiliar feeling for many businesses large and small. No matter how good you think your product or service is, everything finally boils down to your ability to convince others that it is good for them. It is all about getting the decision makers who matter to say "Yes".
10 Steps for Business Owners to Take if They Are a Victim of Identity Theft
Be aware that 40 million crooks obtained credit card numbers this past year, "Be Suspicious". Also be aware that most identify theft is not reported, especially when it involves family members, so the statistics are off. These statistics show that consumers lost $5 billion last year when in actuality it is closer to $50 billion. There have been an estimated 9.9 million victims in America.
|home | site map|