|Article Writing Information|
How To Edit Your Articles As You Write
Increase your ezine subscribers by submitting articles once or twice a week to the opt-in ezines. Read by thousands, even hundreds of thousands, you get 10-25 new subscribers for each submission. Your articles also bring people to your Web site to buy your products. Use this checklist to edit your own work.
Knowing these benefits, you want to create and submit as many excellent articles as you can. At times, you have the articles complete, but don't have anyone handy to edit them. While it's best to get at least two other edits from business associates, you can edit your articles yourself with a little help.
Use this checklist to edit your own work:
1. Start your introduction with a question or startling fact. You must hook your readers with something that reaches their emotions.
2. Make your introduction only a few sentences. Your readers want to get to the heart of your article fast. They want easy-to- read quick tips. Long stories can bring a yawn to your reader.
3. At the end of your introduction, include your article's thesis to stay on track and make your article clear and compelling. For instance, "use this checklist to edit your own work."
4. Make all of your sentences short. Since standard sentence length is 15-17 words, make most of your sentences under that number. Complex sentences and multiple phrases make the reading tougher. Make it easy for your readers to find the subject and verb of each sentence, so they get the point fast.
5. Avoid dull, slow sentences. To avoid passive construction, start them with a subject, and then follow with a verb. For instance, "The coach marketed her business and books through submitting articles online" is an active sentence. "The coach's books were marketed online through submitting articles." is passive. Drop linking verbs such as "is," "was," "seemed," or "had." Replace them with power, active verbs. Instead of "She is beautiful," you could say, "Her beauty compels you to stare at her."
6. Aim for compelling, clear copy. Write for the 8-10th grade reader. Don't try to impress with pompous words such as "utilize." Always think "What's in it for them?"
7. Use specific nouns and names. General references don't engage your readers' emotions. Let them see the size, color, and shape. Rather than say, "Write your book fast to make lifelong income," say "Write and finish your book fast so you can take that long vacation to a Caribbean island." Money alone doesn't motivate, but what we can do with it does.
8. Let go of certain adverbs. Words like very, suddenly, and sparingly, tell instead of show. Use adverbs as often as you celebrate your birthday. Did I show, rather than tell? Your readers are hungry to experience feelings as well as picture themselves in your examples.
9. Let go of adjectives. Instead of saying, She is a super-intelligent person," you could say, "She's a genius."
10. Appeal to the senses of sight, sound, and emotions. Telling is not effective. Instead of "Buy this book today because it is so useful," say, "Would you like to double, even quadruple your Online income in three months?"
11. Cut redundancies. Too much repetition in your articles speaks boring or "talking down" to your readers. Be willing to part with some of your "precious" words. Your first edit should reduce your words at least by one-fourth.
12. Don't use pompous words to try to impress your reader.
13. Keep the subject and verb as close together as possible. Don't make your reader work to get the meaning.
14. Use the present or past tense of the verb rather than the "-ing" form of the verb. Instead of "she is singing," say, "she sings or she sang.
15. Put your point at the end of a sentence, a paragraph, or chapter for emphasis. This position hooks the reader to pause and notice or hooks him to keep reading.
16. Cut clichés. Once, original metaphors, clichés age and become trite. Instead of "Birds of a Feather Flock Together," you could say, "Birds of a Feather Need to Fly Away."
Make your articles sculptured and painted like a fine work of art. Your word choices do make a difference--both in commercial acceptance as well as audience understanding.
Self-editing will help.
Judy Cullins, 20-year book and Internet Marketing Coach, Author of 10 eBooks including "Write your eBook Fast," and "How to Market your Business on the Internet," she offers free help through her 2 monthly ezines, The Book Coach Says...and Business Tip of the Month at http://www.bookcoaching.com/opt-in.shtml and over 140 free articles. Email her at mailto:Judy@bookcoaching.com
5 Critical Promotion Mistakes People Make With Articles
Did you realize that writing and publishing articles online represents one of the best-kept website traffic secrets?
The Raw Truth About Persuasion and Copywriting!
I get asked all the time, "Lorrie, how can I make my copy more persuasive?" Well frankly it helps if you can speak your prospect's language. But writing persuasively is more involved than just saying the right words. You need to say them in the right order?and in a way that lowers resistance to new information and is acceptable to his or her mind. One discipline that translates nicely to writing persuasive copy is NLP or Neuro Linguistic Programming.
Write Articles That Get Results
It's no secret that writing and publishing helpful articles is one of the best ways to promote your business. Writing articles can: Establish you as an expert in your field. Get your name and your company name in front of potential clients who you may never have been able to contact otherwise. Create valuable content for you to share with potential clients or convert into speeches and other marketing strategies.
Creating Your Perfect Article Summary ? 7 Tips
What should be in your article summary?
How to Use Articles to Generate Free Traffic to Your Website
Writing articles that are available for reprint is an excellent way to generate traffic to your website. Webmasters,ezine publishers, and bloggers are always looking for quality content. This is an excellent way to get free exposure for your website. Here are some tips to help you write your article.
Put Your Recruiting on Auto Pilot
Getting people to join your company can be hard work. Whether you are looking to hire staff or to build a downline for your network marketing business, attracting the right people is key to your success.
Article Marketing Interview With Kevin Bidwell
Recently I interviewed Kevin Bidwell of All-In-One-Business.com on some of the insights on how he leverages article marketing to help build his business.
What to Write About
This is a perennial question among writers and wannabe's. Many of us dream of writing a book. Why not. What greater story can one write about than one's own. Each day brings a new beginning, a new page in the book of life.
Increasing Web Traffic With Original Articles
The name of the game as far as Internet marketing is concerned is original content. If you are serious about promoting your website, increasing traffic and improving your search engine page ranking then your website must have original articles with relevant content.
For The Serious Internet Marketer: Heres A Quick And Easy Way To Reach 1000s of Buyers today
Why do so many internet marketers waste their time on ineffective practices and outmoded techniques that stopped working before the start of the new millennium?
1 Powerful Strategy To Craft Your Article For Maximum Readership
Do you know one of the most powerful marketing techniques to get free publicity? It does not involve any optimization for the search engines or any bidding for the pay per clicks. The answer is that simple and it's called article writing.
How To Submit Your Articles To Article Announcement Lists
Get the Facts you need to start promoting you free articles for publication online...
Where to Get Great Ideas For Your Next Article
There are times when I want to write an article to send out to promote my web site (or for my newsletter) and an article idea pops right into my head and then it's easy. Other times I'm stuck for anything to write about at all! Here are a few ideas to help get those article ideas flowing again and to get you "unstuck"!
Use Your Expertise to Write That Article!
Have you ever seen articles that are not only related to your expertise, but ones that made you think, "I could have written that!" And of course you can! You are an expert at something, such as education or science or marketing or whatever. What's more, you have an in-depth knowledge of your field.
Marketing Articles: Promoting Your Site Twice!
I recently became aware that promoting your web site in Search Engines can instantly be double within Google! That's right, you can instantly promote your site 2 times at once!
Use Textpad Program for Easy Ezine and Web Site Submissions To Bring More Sales
When you create your articles in TextPad format, something like Notepad, but much more versatile, you will have them in 65 characters across wrapped, just the right format. Then, when you are ready to submit your articles to web sites, you simply copy and paste the parts of the article into the web site you want to post on.
Articles: How To Turbo Charge Traffic When Your Promotion Budget Is Tiny
Writing articles for your site and for the use of others, is a simple proven way low cost way to get more traffic.
Get Traffic to Your Web Site with Articles
It is not my intention to give you a 5 or 10 step plan to get traffic to your web site. But I do want to talk to you about one of the best traffic generating systems that exists.
How to Write an Effective Article
Writing a great deal of articles myself, I see a lot of the other articles that are submitted. Although the majority are spot on, many are not nearly as effective as they could be. Hopefully I can impart some insight on the Do's and Don'ts of writing an effective article.
Ezine Publishers Want These 5 Things From Article Authors/Writers
Want your articles to get picked up and reprinted by top name brand ezine publishers?
|home | site map|